Freedom of Information Training
- FOIA is designed to encourage a culture of openness and transparency in government and the public sector.
- Openness and transparency help to increase public trust in government, benefiting both the general public and the PAs.
- FOIA is overseen by the ICO.
- PAs are obliged to release information requested unless there is a good reason not to, and all requesters must be treated equally.
- PAs must handle FOI requests neutrally and in a timely fashion.
- While the spirit of FOIA is to promote openness and transparency, there are a number of acceptable reasons for a request to be denied.
- The ICO can intervene in cases of dispute between requester and PA. Both parties have the right to appeal decisions made by the ICO.
- FOIA encourages PAs to proactively and routinely publish information.
- PAs should follow the ICO’s publication scheme and definition documents to ensure compliance.
- Information not available through the PA’s publication scheme should be requested via a FOI request.
Is it for me?
A course designed to outline the key provisions of the Freedom of Information Act and how it applies to Public Authorities.
Book a Freedom of Information Online Training Course
To buy this training course for yourself, a colleague or your company simply add to your cart below.